Pages

Book # 1: They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera



What would you do if someone told you you’re going to die today? Will you make the most out of it or will you try hard to keep death from happening?


My Thoughts:

“They Both Die At The End” is a novel that shows death in a good and bad light. It made me realize how life can be so short, not because of death but because most of us are just too scared to even live that we end up begging for more time when we realize we’re about to run out of it. It made me realize the ugly truth about how most of us are living our life. How things in the past and fear of the unknown future held us from truly living in the moment. How we tend to care for the most superficial things, failing to see what really matters the most. How we fail to really know ourselves more because of fear of being judged or just simply because of not giving ourselves the chance to even know the real us at all. We are all living a life where we keep focusing on things that we think is important- finishing school, working hard and earning enough money to have a comfortable life, only to realize that none of those matters when confronted by death. No diploma, no profession and no amount of money would matter once death comes knocking at your door. I’m not saying that you should quit school, stop working hard and just waste all your money away. Whether you like it or not, we all get to go through that process and you are actually blessed enough if you do so. So why would we do these things if they won’t matter in the end? It is because of the relationships you get to build along the way. Through all those things that appear to be a waste of time, you get to be with people. You get to build connections that hopefully are genuine enough to last until your End Day. You get to have friendships and love which will matter the most once you’re on your deathbed. In the end, it is not what you have or where you are that will matter, it’s who will be by your side and how you made an impact in their lives that will make your one last breath satisfying.


 My Favorite Lines

“Entire lives aren’t lessons, but there are lessons in lives.”

"He's right. I am doing this to myself. I'm holding myself back. I've spent years living safely to secure a longer life, and look where that's gotten me. I'm at the finish line, but I never ran the race."

"Things usually get worse before they get better, but today has to be the flip side."

"And one day she'll find herself on the terrible end of a Death-Cast call and it sucks how we're all being raised to die. Yes, we live, or we're given the chance to, at least, but sometimes living is hard and complicated because of fear."

"We never act, only react once we realize the clock is ticking."

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that's all." -Oscar Wilde

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." - Marcus Aurelius

My Favorite Part

What I love most about "They Both Die At The End" is the part where the the lives of the characters started to connect with each other. I do commend the author for a great story flow. It was written well enough that the story line went smoothly and how everything just made sense.

My Least Favorite Part

I didn't really like how the author presented the transition of friendship to becoming more than just friendship. I personally just didn't feel that the connection was strong enough. You'll get this once you read it. 

My Verdict

I do recommend "They Both Die At The End" to those who needs a wake up call to make every day count through a story that is highly relatable for the younger generation and is something new to the old souls like me. 

Alanah Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment