Pages

This Year I Choose to Be Happy!



This should have been published before 2017  even started but I wasn't able to write it on time. I got it drafted in my head but for a lot of reasons (which in my defense are considerably valid), I wasn't able to give time to put myself in front of my laptop and  just write. So here I am at my bed covered in sheets on a Monday morning, trying to type my sickness away so I can report to work tomorrow.


I can't afford another day of work load added to my pile of To Do's when I get back. Also, I prefer my SLs to be converted into cash...thank you very much!

Now to the main gist of this blog post.

2017 caught me off guard. I mean, I knew it was coming but I was too busy trying to figure myself out last 2016 that I never thought it was just in front of me. It was definitely a very hard and confusing previous year. A lot of what ifs kept me from doing things that I thought would be right for me. There were countless times that I felt unhappy, unappreciated and unloved despite all the blessings that I've received. I have a close and loving family, a very understanding and supportive partner, a fun circle of friends and a budding career in the corporate world but still deep inside of me I felt unhappy.
Sometimes that unhappiness filled my very soul and I let it took me away from the things that I loved to do. I felt ungrateful for feeling so deprived of happiness all the time when half of the world had suffered more than I am and yet they find a reason to be genuinely happy. For awhile I stopped writing and took a long break from my Creative Writing Course. I barely participated in any writing-related activities since for me, no good would come from an unhappy person. Also, I had this futile idea of making myself more miserable by not writing. Like I deserved to feel miserable. Sooner or later, I decided to fight it. I worked really hard on things that I can control. I focused on my job and my relationships and sooner or later, I begun writing again. I started to take control on my dreams. I started to take control again. There are moments when the unhappiness creeps back but I never let it stay too long (except if it came from a really good koreanovela, anime or novel..hahaha!). See? I made some real progress here!
But despite remembering 2016 as the year where I wasted most of my energy overthinking and doubting myself, there are a lot of things that happened which I am very thankful of.
Here's are some moments where I successfully drove my unhappiness away last 2016:

  • I got promoted to a supervisor level. Which means, more working hours but a step closer to the top of that corporate ladder. Totally worth it!
  • John and I turned 8 this year...and I don't know how he still manage to keep up with my "sometimes" unrealistic demands. Also, I finally proved that 7th-year-itch is a myth. Hah! Take that you relationship doubters! 
  • Conquered my desire for a monthly novelty experience...with John despite our busy schedule. We really felt the power of compromising just so we could do something different each month. Also, this made me realize how much I just love to do nothing with him. To just stay in each other's place and watch or talk about random topics (which covers anything about our lives to politics) till we get hungry enough to order take-outs. Yeah! My lazy genes are too strong!
  • Traveled via airplane for the 2nd time in my entire existence. Bonus part is that I got to experience it with John. This was last February during our trip to Cebu and Bohol. Yey!
  • Finally had the time to get a passport! Now, I just have to save up so I could use it. I'm really hoping that I'll get to go to Japan this autumn! 
  • I stopped eating pork. At first, it was really hard since I always eat with someone who likes to eat pork and I always get that disapproval look on their faces when I tell them I can't eat what they're having. Still, it was a great step for me and I can't wait to cross out beef and chicken on my list. I'll take this road to becoming a pescatarian slowly but surely!  
  • Got a new header for my blog...and I've finally decided to blog more often around the theme "Live.Work.Dream." Hopefully I can keep this up since it's really hard to give an excuse when people ask me why am I not writing anymore. Also because it's something that would really make me happy. 
I guess that's pretty much what I can muster to achieve in between my unhappiness last year!

Looking forward to a new year, I know that I'm a better person now. I also learned that all the unhappiness that I felt last year is something that I brought upon myself. Something that I chose to feel and that I could have chosen to be happy under all circumstances but didn't. A mistake that I would definitely not repeat this year. I'll be in control with what I feel and how I will live my life. Because I only got one and it's worth living! 


Here's to a 2017 where we find the courage to choose to be happy no matter what! 
Happy New Year!

Photos were taken last January 2016 by Christofer Famero. 




Alanah Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment