Pages

Surfing in the Surfing Capital of the North- San Juan, La Union



They say in order to know if you really like something, you should at least try it twice. And so I did. Which is why I must say, despite my non-sporty facade, I am confident that I do like surfing. I first experienced surfing way back 2015 when I joined last minute in a trip to Baler, Aurora with my officemates. It was actually that experience that inspired me to start this blog and wrote my first ever travel blog post A Traveler Born in Baler. Three years is definitely a long time and a lot have changed but my love for the waves remained and was definitely awakened by the beauty of La Union.


All this time, I was just passing through La Union every time I travel back to my hometown in Ilocos Norte. I had no idea what a surfing paradise La Union was.




We went surfing in San Juan, La Union last August and I must say that I really enjoyed the waves. According to our surf instructor, surfers prefer to visit from October- March where the waves are big. But for me, the August waves were prefect. The waves were not that calm, yet it weren’t that crazy. It gave me just enough interval to ride the waves and to just enjoy the water. Plus, the golden hour in La Union is just so amazing I wanted to just stare at the sky for as much as I can.



If you ever plan to go surfing in San Juan, La Union, you can book your stay at the Sebay Central Surf Resort. They have the most affordable rooms and the most accommodating staff. Just make sure you claim your complimentary drinks right away because you won’t be able to get them the next day. Yes! I felt really bad for not getting those free drinks!


Also, they have the best surf instructors. We were guided by pair and kuya Jherico really believed in my skill that he let me surf without a leg rope. Yeap! He clearly saw my talent from within. Haha! That or maybe he was just punishing me for throwing my leg rope into the water when it snapped at the very beginning of our session. The waves took the leg rope and it was definitely nowhere to be found. Haha! Sorry! I didn’t know that it was something that can be fixed and so I was just trying to hide the evidence. Nonetheless, this experience really developed my courage to try new things and to have the faith that everything will turn out just fine.


Make sure to look for kuya Jherico as your surf instructor. He’s a great photographer too! He basically took all the photos of us on our surfboards. Imagine, he can take photos while fighting the waves from drifting our surfboards back to shore.





Aside from surfing, there are other places that you can visit in La Union. But because we only had so little time, we were just able to see the BaluarteWatchtower and Kamay na Bato. I will definitely come back to have this experience again and again, hopefully with so much more time on our hands. Who’s coming with me?



Alanah Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment