Pages

A Box of Gratitude


Last October 16, 2015, I attended a seminar for administrative professionals in SM Learning Center, Cubao. I was informed a day before to attend the said seminar and with an unwilling heart ransacked any corporate attire that I could find at my sister’s closet (cause 90% of my wardrobe are all shirts).

“Secretaries’ Learning Day: Stepping Up to Our Role as Professionals” was the first seminar intended for all the assistants/administrative professionals/secretaries (we get called by different names despite the similarity of our work) of all the executives in our head office. It was meant to provide additional learnings for all of us and at the same time a gateway to know each other beyond telephone calls and emails.

There were a lot of sharing that occurred which I didn’t really felt comfortable with. I just didn’t like the idea of opening up my personal thoughts and feelings to people I just met for the first time (which is weird because I got no problem posting them online. Haha!). I guess I was not meant to speak infront of a crowd. Also, maybe because I am a certified crybaby. Every time I experience any kind of strong emotion, I cry and it is not a pretty sight. I thought I would handle that day with finesse and grace until they handed out our souvenir at the end of the seminar.

It was a very cute box and oddly it had our names on it. We were instructed to open it and the next thing I knew, I was holding a piece of paper with my left hand and simultaneously wiping the tears that were running down my cheeks with my other hand. What was inside the box? It was a letter from my boss. It was short but it was exactly what I needed to know.


“We are blessed that the huge task of supporting me and the operations team of CFMC has fallen into your very capable hands. At this early stage of your career, you have displayed good initiative and consistently delivered more than what is expected of you. Continue to do great work and the opportunities will be there for you. Stay hungry and I will be there to guide you to your full potential.”

Rhoand Glorioso
After that, tears just sprung into my eyes. It was one of those rare moments wherein all the stress that I have inside of me suddenly disappeared. Who would have thought that a piece of paper with words of gratitude would change something inside of me? It's as if my confidence with how I work came back. That somehow if I put my heart and mind into it, I could be capable of greatness. I found myself again.

This seminar really made a difference compared to the other seminars that I have attended to under my current company. It made me understand who I really am and what I would really want to be. I had a clearer vision of myself and of what I want to achieve careerwise. No matter what decision I make in the near future, the words of my boss will always remain in my mind. Thank you boss!

Alanah Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment